Sunday, August 17, 2008

Greetings from the South Pacific

Yes it is true. I made the 36 hour journey here from South Korea. I think that the journey in and of itself was one in which I needed to reflect on my time spent. One cannot integrate into a society in one year (maybe one can, but it is pretty difficult). On my departure I knew I would be back, it is just a matter of time. For me, I needed to break away and come back here, but even in coming back, so much has changed that it hardly seems like the same country I lived in for four years.

Don't get me wrong, my experience here has been great; it is just that I need to bridge the gap between two different worlds. Asia and the South Pacific are vastly different in cultures, people, ways of life, etc. The problem is that I have not mastered Korea yet and I want so very much to understand the people, language, and culture very much.

So at this stage, I am interviewing heavily from my present location. My hope is to be out of here in a few weeks. Strange enough, I actually miss the randomness of the country! Not to mention that they are doing an admiral job at the Olympics in Bejing!

No comments:

Nam Tasa's Chief

Nam Tasa's Chief
The custom dance Chief Caspar and his clan performed prior to Nam Tasa's departure from Vanuatu. This is where and when Nam Tasa recieved his custom name from the Banks Islands in Vanuatu.