Monday, September 24, 2007

Gyeongbokgung Palace (#1 Seoul's Best 100)

This is #1 on the Seoul's best 100 things to see and do list. It is also my second stop with my friend and former boss from the US that visited me within 3 weeks of my arrival in Korea.

This palace was established in 1395 as the residence for the founder of the dynasty at the time. It has the best representative example of the architecture during the Joseon Dynasty, and is a culmination of the finest techniques of the age. Inside the grounds one can find the National Museum of Korea, the nations largest, and the National Folk Village.

The funny part of this photo is the thought of just standing in front of these guards taking the picture. I think that my friend and I were diligently playing the part of tourist. If I recall correctly, I did a happy dance to see if I could make them flinch...But then quickly decided that I did not want to get "Taekwandoed." They looked fierce and magnificent standing at attention and were truly mesmerizing no matter how funny the moment was for us making fools of ourselves in front of them much in the same way that tourists do at Disneyland when looking and taking photos of Mickey Mouse. :-)

Next Saturday, September 29, 2007 I will be visiting Changdeokgung Palace (#2 Seoul's Best 100) on a date with a very attractive Korean gal I met... I am so thankful that I have a cell phone and Koreans have taken to 3G technology...It truly is the best way to get a date in Korea. ;-) Please keep your eyes peeled for that update!

No comments:

Nam Tasa's Chief

Nam Tasa's Chief
The custom dance Chief Caspar and his clan performed prior to Nam Tasa's departure from Vanuatu. This is where and when Nam Tasa recieved his custom name from the Banks Islands in Vanuatu.