Tuesday, September 25, 2007

SMS Dating

It all happened so fast. A chance meeting on a confusing bus ride resulted in a girl asking for my mobile phone number. Since then we have been sending text messages to each other everyday then yesterday this string of text messages ensues:

Her: where r u? seoul or home?
Me: lost. seoul i think. near singil station.
Her: singal or singil. u in yongin now?
Her: any tall buildings near u?
Me: yes. singil stn off line 5 in seoul
Her: u come kimpo? me bored. wanting meeting.
Me: u no come singil stn 4 meeting?
Me: kimpo 2 far 2 late no bus no train
Her: please i will drive you home
Me: ok. I will sent text when on train.
Her: thanks u come
Me: OK on line 5 be there in 15 to 20 minutes
Her: ok meet me at emart at kimpo stn

Woah, what just happened here? I know you are all thinking that I must be nuts, but some of my friends here are not because this is how things work here. In the US I'd never do this because well, first of all it would never happen, and second it is and was an innocent and wonderful evening. There are no false expectations here.

So I met her at Kimpo Station. We had dinner at a restaurant an hour north of Seoul. I confess, When I noticed that the sun was setting in the western horizon and that the tall buildings of Seoul were being replaced by empty space I knew we were going north so I asked, and she responded by stating that we were heading towards North Korea. I freak out inside thinking the worst of course, just like my mother is as she reads this....I ask again, "In North Korea?" She says, "No in Heyuri (pronounced Hey-Yu-dee)." It is an art village complete with restaurants, a school, and drive in theater. It is very much like Clairmont, California without the drive in.

restaurant in La Verne, California on the patio and Upon arrival in Heyuri we check movie times at the drive in and proceed to dinner at a very nice Galbi restaurant sitting outside. It reminds me of a mixture of eating at a Mediterraneanbbqing on my balcony in San Dimas. From here we head back to Seoul to a drive in theater there because she thought it had English movies playing there. I had been telling her here that I want to learn Korean so I'd be happy to see a Korean movie. So she asks if I wanted to see a comedy or love story. I ask her if I knew Korean and it was her choice which one would she choose? We saw the movie "A Love." It is a typical love story with a very small and easy to understand plot in any language. You know boy meets girl. Boy saves girl. The fall in love and commit suicide due to the every impending forces of evil that seek to destroy their relationship... Yeah right?

After the movie she drives me 1.5 hours back to my home, we shake hands and depart ways. The interesting part is she not only drove me home, but paid for the entire date and it wasn't cheap. We still talk every day either by text or phone. Will most likely see here this weekend in between some other dates I have arranged over the weekend. Korean women, when respected have a high need to treat their men like kings and I did that a lot! I will be playing things cool here until that happens. It probably will happen, I just don't know when. 8-)

That is it for me.

No comments:

Nam Tasa's Chief

Nam Tasa's Chief
The custom dance Chief Caspar and his clan performed prior to Nam Tasa's departure from Vanuatu. This is where and when Nam Tasa recieved his custom name from the Banks Islands in Vanuatu.