Thursday, October 11, 2007

Silence is a timewarp and mimes are freaks

I know, I am being quirky and philosophical right now, but I gotta get this out of my system. I have never been content with pregnant pauses... Ever. And even far less patient when reduced to the likeness of a mime in Paris that only knows Greek. Which just reminded me of Bastile day 2006 in Paris when my step dad walked up to a French Police officer inquiring why the bridge over the Seine river was closed [for fireworks] and exclaimed in frustration, "Doesn't anyone speak English in this country?" It's OK, it was his first trip outside the US and a big culture shock for him. I give him credit, and loved every minute of our time together in Paris. But I digress...

I am in Korea and I hear language all around me, but feel as though I am talking to myself all day long. At work I even have resorted to answering my own questions or arranging the limited vocabulary of my students into a comprehensible sentence while guessing about 99.9% of what they might be wanting to communicate. I have been wrong on so many occasions it makes me sick. Now I am regretting ever playing hooky for my theater class at university... Wait a minute, I am a business major. No wonder I su'huck at miming.

Seriously I want to learn the language and I want to learn it now!!! I am dying to have a conversation with the locals in my current locale because I have an insatiable appetite for connecting with others. I don't know if it is because I crave approval, attention, or just really want to appreciate the people and place where I am at right now. For the record, I don't care, I just need intelligent conversation in any language but without the charades. If I ever get a Pictionary game for a birthday or Christmas present I think I will self destruct.

I have been reading a dogeared copy of Oswald Chambers' "My Utmost for His Highest." I am still contemplating todays musings and the thought that "God's silences are His answers." If this is a gift from above than I am in a timewarp and I'm not receiving the message. What's missing here? I'd try miming it out, but I'm afraid I'd get that answer wrong too because we all know I su'huck at miming.

No comments:

Nam Tasa's Chief

Nam Tasa's Chief
The custom dance Chief Caspar and his clan performed prior to Nam Tasa's departure from Vanuatu. This is where and when Nam Tasa recieved his custom name from the Banks Islands in Vanuatu.